As many of you might already know, I run the CrossFit Kids classes over at Jersey Devil CrossFit and love to get my kids talking about healthy snacks. Well, not just talking about them... eating them too! I test a lot of my snack ideas for the blog out on them and start the conversation about what's good fuel for our bodies. I don't get too many kids on Thursdays so I decided to do something special for them this week. For our warm up, we had a CrossFit Easter Egg Hunt! The kids ran to the middle of the floor where there were plastic eggs scattered, picked an egg, ran back to their basket, & performed the movement(s) written on a piece of paper inside. They LOVED it. We did box jumps, squats, stink bug push ups, shuttle sprints, bear crawls, med ball tosses, & more! Needless to say, they were thoroughly warmed up.
To go along with our Easter theme, I made these ADORABLE Easter Bunny Cheese Sticks I had seen whilst peruuusing pinterest and some baby carrot filled snack baggies in the shape of big carrots! Both were incredibly easy and a huge hit at class. We talked about the muscle building protein and bone strengthening calcium in their cheese sticks and the vitamins and minerals they get from baby carrots that help their eyes see better!
I'm going to give you the deets for both snacks. Feel free to make on or the other, but I liked them paired together... every bunny needs his carrot! These are a great sub for all the chocolate bunnies & reese's eggs that can leave your kids with sugar highs, headaches, & cavities.
Easter Bunny Cheese Sticks
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Cheese Sticks
- White Address Labels (the ones that peel off & stick)
- Pink Colored Pencil/Crayon/Marker
- Black Pen or Fine Tip Sharpie
WHAT TO DO:
1. Lay your cheese sticks out in a row.
2. Take your white mailing labels and in each one draw 2 ears (lightly with a pencil), making some look like an ear folded over. Color the center pink, leaving a white edge. Also draw a little bunny face and little bunny paws with black pen or fine tipped marker.
3. Peel the label off (so the stick side is exposed), carefully cut out the ears, face, and paws, and stick onto your cheese stick. Place the ears up top, the face below, and the paws towards the center. Done!
Carrot Snack Bags
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Clear Cone Bags
- Baby Carrots
- Green Ribbon
- Green Twist Ties
WHAT TO DO:
1. Open up cone bag & fill roughly 3/4 of the way up with baby carrots (making sure to get carrots all the way down to the bottom tip of the bag). This is the body of your carrot.
2. Now to make the green top, take green ribbon and make a large loop, pinching the loop with your fingers at the bottom and continuing to make another large loop on the opposite side, pinching that loop with your fingers as well. Continue until you have 3 or 4 loops on either side & then cut the ribbon, keeping loops pinched between fingers.
4. Tie a knot with another small piece of ribbon where your fingers are pinched. Using that same piece of small ribbon, tie another knot around the center of a green twist tie.
5. Cut each ribbon loop so that they are no longer loops and fasten your twist tie onto your carrot filled baggie. You can curl the ribbons or leave them straight (like I did, pictured above).
Store both of these snacks in the fridge until it's time to eat them!