Lately, I feel like I'm always connected. Sometimes that's a good thing. We're tuned in, emitting and absorbing information, but sometimes it's not such a good thing. We've become a population fixated on devices, on being keyed in to what everyone's doing all the time, on likes & dislikes. It all can get overwhelming, all-consuming. What's even more ironic is that I'm typing this rant from behind a computer screen, hoping someone will read it. I guess a small dose of irony is exactly what this post is.
Nutrition is only one part of being a healthy person. There are a lot of factors that go into health and lately I've been thinking about them all. A big piece of overall health is mental health. Day to day living can be stressful. We've got deadlines at work, or maybe no job at all. It can be exhausting pretending like we have it all together. If we keep pushing & pretending & trying to broadcast ourselves via tablets and fancy phones, we also tend to lose ourselves along the way. So, I thought I'd put together a little post that reminds you to take a break. A break from your phone, a break from your computer, a break from stressing. At times, it's necessary to disconnect, spend some time with yourself, regroup, and then get back to kicking ass.
So here they are, my 8 favorite ways to unplug, peel my squinting eyes off that computer screen, and escape from the grind (no matter what that grind may be).
1. GO FOR A WALK - We sit a lot. It's taxing on our bodies and our minds. Stand up & get those legs moving. Walk around your house or your office. Walk outside, down your street. Have a pet? Take them with you. Walk yourself wherever your feet may wander and let your mind go too.
2. COOK A MEAL - Yeah I know, the dietitian snuck that one right in there, but cooking a meal can really help you step away from the tablet or tv. Print out a recipe or just go by feel. Play some music. Let your mind think of nothing, but making something delicious. And then eat it!
3. FIND A FARMER'S MARKET - This one might be good to do before #2. Farmer's markets can be really cool places, full of color & characters. They also pop up all over the place come spring & summer!
4. GO GRAB A COFFEE - & don't rush back. Find a coffee shop, we have a really awesome one in town called Casciano's, and hang out for a bit. Sometimes I feel like coffee shops are breathing, with people flowing in & out like air in lungs. It can be soothing & full of life all at the same time.
5. PREP FOR THE NEXT DAY - Notice I said day, not week, month, or year. Sometimes it can be so soothing to make a short list and then check everything off it. Plan just the day out, make sure you're totally prepared, and get ready to feel oh so satisfied.
6. DO SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR SOMEONE - Pick someone, anyone. Maybe it's someone you love or just someone you know could use a pick me up and do something nice for them. Write a thank you note, bring them a little surprise, throw them a compliment, anything to help brighten their day. You'll be surprised how great you'll feel too.
7. STRETCH - We can get so tense sitting in our desks. Get out of your chair, down on the floor, & stretch it out. Look up a yoga video on youtube and sit in some nice long poses. My personal favorite stretching routine is ROMWOD (That stands for range of motion workout of the day). There's a small fee to get the videos, but they put up a different routine every day to help open you up & they're only about 20 minutes long most days!
8. FIND SOME WATER - Take a trip to the shore, walk along the boardwalk, stick your toes in the sand and just look out into the waves. There's something so calming about staring at where the sky meets the water. Don't live near the water? Find a lake or a pond, skip stones, and relax. If it's warm, jump in! If it's cold, maybe just watch from your car, either way I bet it'll be better than staring at your ocean screen saver!