Well, that summer flew by *cue existential crisis*. Before it's gone entirely, bear with me, make your way over to the grill, and make this watermelon pizza. Yes, I said watermelon pizza.
I know it seems crazy, but this app is oh so good. It's the perfect way to start off your your next summer party and the perfect way to go out of this summer with a bang!
Grilled Watermelon Pizza
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (3/4-inch-thick) slice seedless watermelon (from a 9-inch-diameter watermelon)
- 1 ounce creamy blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons small basil leaves
1. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
2. Combine onion, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; let stand 15 minutes or until onion is softened, tossing occasionally. Combine 2 teaspoons brining liquid and 2 teaspoons olive oil, stirring with a whisk. Drain onion, and discard remaining liquid.
3. Brush olive oil mixture onto both sides of watermelon slice. Grill watermelon 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until well marked and juicy; place on a serving platter or cutting board. Top watermelon evenly with pickled onions, blue cheese, and pecans. Sprinkle with basil. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Recipe from Cooking Light